In the second episode of our new season of Web3 Innovators, our host Conor Svensson is joined by Steve Newcomb, Chief Product Officer at Matter Labs. Matter Labs, an engineering team passionate about liberty, blockchain, and math. They are the creators of zkSync, the number one layer two solution for blockchain developers.
Steve is best known for Powerset, a natural language search engine, which he co-founded and scaled. He later sold it to Microsoft, and it’s now known as Microsoft Bing.
Connect with Steve on Twitter
- How Steve was introduced to Ethereum
- What is the biggest challenge that Matter Labs has seen as an organisation?
- Releasing the world’s first end to end general purpose zkProver onto Testnet.
- Going live on mainnet with a full end to end ZK system that is EVM compatible.
- A brief overview of what a prover is in this context.
- Blockchain as an internet computer, not a database.
- The tension around the topic of privacy in blockchain.
- Steve gives advice to those who are thinking about the potential Web3 and blockchain could have in their industry.
- “Two days ago we released the world's first end to end general purpose zkProver onto Testnet.” - Steve
- “What's so beautiful about ZK technology is that unlike other technologies it actually scales infinitely because it has the inherent property of recursion in it, and it can scale things with perfection because it is not some sort of game theory where you're paying people to find fraud in the system, it is a mathematical proof based system so it just is perfect.” - Steve
- “A decentralised blockchain cannot be shut down and it cannot be hacked. Therefore, there is no role for the government, they cannot police this, they cannot adjudicate it, they cannot make laws against it with any effect. And what does that mean for humanity? What does that mean for society?” - Steve
➡️ Remember to leave us a 5* review and we'd love to hear your comments too!
➡️ Discover Web3 Labs
➡️ Follow Web3 Labs on Twitter
➡️ Follow Web3 Labs on LinkedIn
➡️ Follow Conor on Twitter
➡️ Get Conor’s latest thoughts on Web3 at https://writing.conorsvensson.com/